I have agonised over my logo. It has been worse than trying to choose the fabric for my stall sheet – which took me aaaages. I have had lots of clever people transfer my Pinkyminky logo into a vector graphic, and even a lovely rubber stamp, but I still find it all a bit too neat, and bit too ‘finished’ for my style. The monkey in a heart is a humble pencil drawing, but it has never been easy to work with and over the last year I have ben experimenting with alternatives.
I became stuck, though, and it was getting me down. I usually find that when I get stuck I can ask my husband, or my children for advice – who are very supportive and insightful, but if they can’t help, I have to go back to first principles – where does it all start from – and usually it is something I made or played with when I was little.
I don’t know if you know; I studied Sculpture and Print making at Art School. But it was long before that my love of printing began. When I was very little I made story books. I was even given a typewriter. But before I had the typewriter, I had a John Bull Printing Outfit.
I know the number related to the size of the set, and I cannot remember what mine was, but I remember having a lot of fun with it, loading up the letters in the little red grooves. It was very fiddly but it was thrilling to create what I considered a professional finish to my ‘publications’!
My love of rubber stamps and letterpress grew as I became interested in conceptual art, and a love of giving ‘authenticity’ to things that were really either completely out of context or made up. I collected old rubber stamps, and had them made, too. It was in the days before Photoshop and Picmonkey.
So when I was wandering around Fred Aldous, around my Birthday, looking at All Of The Things, my eyes fell upon this:
I had to buy it. I get a small discount in Fred Aldous , which helped make it an Entirely Justified Purchase. I took it home and started to play <ahem> experiment with it immediately.
I made a logo, with my tagline, and a return to sender stamp, and a stamp with my contact details on. Lula made a few extra ones, too.
I especially love the fact I had to improvise as I ran out of certain letters.
I have experimented with changing from the monkey to a cat face. My children are not 100% behind me on this, but I have always drawn these little cats faces. I just used some simple rubber stamp block and a craft knife – a little rudimentary but I wanted a naïve look.
I may yet make a monkey face alternative, but after a lot of experimenting, I carved a cat head that I really liked. It is a very cheeky looking cat, I think you will agree! So here is my new logo,
I hope you like it. x